Civil Society event
Sunday 21 December 2008 - 8:30 – 16:45
Civil society has a crucial role to play in ensuring that future generations in the Mediterranean countries have access to sufficient and clean water. Civil society organisations are government’s partners in their effort toward sustainable water use in their countries.
To give civil society a voice and ensure that its role is discussed in the Ministerial meeting and reflected in the strategy paper, a Civil Society Meeting is organised by the Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development (JOHUD), the Mediterranean Information Office for Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE), the Arab Network for Environment and Development (RAED) and the Global Water Partnership-Mediterranean (GWP-Med) on the eve of the Ministerial Meeting.
The meeting is supported by the French Presidency of the European Union, the Government of Jordan, the European Commission-DGENV, the EU Water Initiative-Mediterranean Component, GEF Strategic Partnership for the Mediterranean and UNEP/MAP.
The objectives of the Civil Society Meeting :
- Clarify the crucial role Civil Society organisations play in ensuring the resource water is available for future generations ;
- To identify Civil societies role as intermediary between the government and its people in the development and implementation of water policies ;
- Based on the conclusions of the prior analysis, to formulate proposal points to be presented as Civil Society Statement to the Ministers at the Ministerial conference on the 22 December October ;
- Use the opportunity this meeting presents to foster networking, joint learning and strategizing.
• Mediterranean Information Office For Environment, Culture and Sustainable Development (MIO-ECSDE)
(Anastasia Roniotes) and Arab Network for Environment and Development (RAED),